Here is some of my 40 years of
experience.....Where do I start???
- A Shih Tzu Is a short nose breed. This factor alone makes
the shih Tzu's care different then all this long nose
- Check eyes daily...Very easy for this breed
to get eye injurys or third eye lid to get infected.
- Shih Tzus puppies should not be given pills at any age, but
especially not before 16 weeks. Pills should be crushed and given
with a capsule or sprinkled on small amount of food. Never make
it into a meatball shape. That could get caught in the shih Tzus
- Puppies need lots of sleep and safety. Up to 15-20 hours
depending on age.
- Shih Tzu retain baby teeth,
often have over crowed, usually under
bitted, get tarter build up and need to be brushed or scaled
- Shih Tzu can be stubborn, So a constant routine of
potty-training needs to be followed, but once mastered-becomes a breeze
- You should not breed your
pet- Shih Tzu. Mother Shih Tzu need professional help
birthing. Should never be left alone on their own when pregnant.
Many problems can arise and someone with experience should
always be there.
- Shih Tzu must be kept warm core temp of 102 o.
Use a Heating pad should be used all the time in winter,
- Shih Tzu can catch colds easily.
Antibiotics can help, but sometimes it must run it's course.
- Kennel Cough is cached easily and sounds
horrible, but in about 2 weeks will be gone. Hardest on older
- Shih Tzu should not be fenced in with invisible fence,
because other larger dogs can still get in and hurt or kill your
little fluff ball.
- Shih Tzu reverse sneezing, it looks
like they are chocking or can not catch their breath. Just calm
them down it will pass quickly.
- Shih Tzu love to be
taken outside for walks. However if not option for owner, they
run around widely for 15 minutes
a day, inside and get their daily exercise themselves.
- They love to howl which is very common in a packs
and are very happy when companion comes home..
- Our Shih Tzu will fetch and can be easily trained for
obedience and other fun activities.
- Start early training for leash and potty. It
is worth the extra effort it takes because one they got it down
they will not forget.
When you buy from a dedicated breeder, who
is breeding for future, you have a chance to acquire a
well-bred, professionally raised puppy. Ours get socialized, use
stars, look in mirrors and are given affection every day.
Hair around the eyes should be pushed forward daily and
sleepiness should be cleaned out. They can see, threw it. The
hair helps protect the eyes from dust and banging into things.
So please do not cut wishers or lashes, because it helps them
protect there eyes and face.
not be in a hurry. Reputable breeders do not have puppies
available all the time, but our puppies will be worth the wait
and can watch them grow in the nursery with weekly pictures and
- Shih Tzu think they can Fly- they have
confidence, are usually not afraid to explore and try it out
jumping off things. So when younger always keep an eye on them,
because they can hurt themselves.
Worms are very common and
to be done several times a year and a once year (5 way)
booster. 1 st shot and worming will be done before you take a
Shih Tzu some-times need a little honey on there tongue, if
they seem week or not eating.
They often get low blood sugar.
Ours do not have this problem, but is good to keep in mind. When
Take the same amount of time in finding a
good .....veterinarian I have heard so many horror stories
including death. Find A veterinarian that cares about you and